Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentines Cookies

 Years ago my best friend from high school, serena, would come over and we would bake and decorate sugar cookies - i think it started with halloween and then valentines.  We did this for a couple years.  Our friendship began with food and still remains around food ;)  "My mom just made a pot of beans, do you want to come over?"  It was back in 1990, Agoura Hills.  We were friends instantly.
It has been 5 years since we have seen each other and what brings us together again are cookies!  We spent the day baking and decorating with Grace.  So fun.  It felt like no time had passed.




Next cookie day?  St. Patricks?
xox

These cookies are my favorite sugar cookie recipe - cut them thick - they make a lot!
Sugar Cookies
2 1/4 shortening
2 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
6 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
*blend with an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment 
*fold in the following and handle like bread dough
7 cups unbleached flour
3 tsp baking powder
2-3tsp salt
*chill for 20 minutes and roll out.  Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes.  Decorate with your favorite frostings, etc.   We mix powdered sugar with milk and add a bit of light corn syrup.....

2 comments:

  1. Those cookies look so cute. I bet they were enjoyed a lot. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called Sweets for a Saturday and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http:/sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blogging action, but um, ok, where was my V day cookie? Have to say, can't believe you made this and made no mention of them to me - wow! Love you KP!

    ReplyDelete